Background

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Bit Preoccupied

I know, I know...I've been MIA from the blogging world.  That's a little in part to hustle and bustle of the fall season, with the kids school starting and all...but that's also in part to my new obsession.  Let me back up a bit:

Ever since I was a little girl (like most little girls), I've wanted a horse.  I used to ride at my girlfriends house, and used to drool over any and every horse I'd see along the side of the road.  My mom, not even being a cat or a dog person, sure as heck is not, nor will she ever will be a horse person.  So...my chances of owning my own horse as a kid, were slim to none. 

Fast forward to highschool when I met and started dating, Kevin.  From the beginning, we had talked about getting married, buying a house, having a dog, 2 kids, a boat, trailer, and property with horses!  That was our dream.  Soon the dream started to become reality.  We got married, bought a house, a boat, then a camper, and then started our family.  The horses and property were still in the back of our mind, though our time was spent doing all of the other things we loved, and it soon became apparent that we'd either have horses, and eat, sleep and breath them...or we'd do everything else we wanted to do...but we couldn't have it all!  So...the property and horses got put on the back burner!

Fast forward again to the fact that our current neighbors have horses, my brother and sister-in-law have horses, and my kiddos are obsessed!  I started looking into options besides having property with horses, and realized that while it might not be ideal for everyone...boarding a horse at a local barn, was a rather good option for Kevin and I.  The kids and I could have our horse, board it at a reputable place where it's daily feed and turn-outs would be taken care of by someone else, and we could in turn enjoy our horse in our spare time, all the while still enjoying the many other things we love to do!  YAY!!!  Problem solved! 

Soooooo...present day...here I am, devouring various horse selling websites, craigslist, and youtube to find the perfect family horse.  Every spare second I have, I'm on the computer looking at horses.  I am rather obsessed, yes...but I'm loving it, and looking forward to adding another member to our family, all 1000 + pounds of him or her!

In the meantime, I've been taking weekly lessons in order to learn all I can!  The kids are quite jealous, but hey...sometimes mommy gets to do something for herself!!!  So...I appoligize if I've been MIA, but I've been a bit preoccupied!  We're going to look at 2 very special horses on Saturday...so who knows...maybe 1 of them will be "the one"!

Oh...and I'm selling my car in order to help pay for my new "ride"!!!  So if you know anyone who needs a 2000 Limited Edition Ford Excursion (which they don't make anymore...by the way), let me know!  I LOVE my car and will be sad to see it go...but I'm pretty sure I'm going to love my horse more!!!

3 comments:

Euhus Family said...

How much are you sell ing the truck for? Also I have a good friend who trains horses and has her horse here. She gives lessons to kids but says they need to at least be 5-7 years old. She is a great horse trainer and grew up around horses her whole life, let me know if you want her advice in buying a horse!
Chelle

Jodiferkay said...

So...if you're still "deciding" if you're interested but are looking for a good, well trained horse, I'm always open to partial lease options with my horse, Lucky! He's a ways out for you though...he's at a really nice barn in Lebanon. My friend Theresa does give lessons (I grew up showing with her)...just food for thought and depends on just how much you are wanting to do!

Unknown said...

Yeah for horses!!!! Such a good thing for the kids. I have all my horse stuff if you need anything. I have a saddle, winter blankets, brushes, splint boots, the list goes on and on.... Two big totes of stuff plus the saddle. Let me know if your interested and we can bring the stuff down for you to look at. We are coming down for the weekend here in the next few weeks and would love to see you guys!! miss you