Background

Thursday, February 15, 2007

One nap at a time!

So yesterday I got a wild hair, and decided to try Kallen in his big boy bed for his morning nap. I pretty much have to peel him up off the floor a couple of hours after he wakes in the morning, because he's resorted to falling asleep wherever he stands! I laid him down, told him he needed to stay in his big boy bed and take a nap, and I'd see him when he woke up. What do you know...not a peep out of the little guy. I took my shower, got ready and came back to poke my head in and see how things ended up. Well...he hadn't moved. He was in the exact spot I laid him in, and was "sawing logs." Wow...that was easier than I expected! He woke up 1 1/2 later a little confused, but for the most part, happy as a clam.

We had such a great experience with nap #1, that when his afternoon nap rolled around (yes, he still takes two naps a day, and definitely couldn't function properly without both of them) I got a little cocky. I thought...sure...what's the big deal? He did so well this morning that we'll surely have no problems now.


Well...initially I didn't hear as much as a sigh coming from his room, and I thought...Great...He's doing it again. Then I heard some banging on the wall and figured he was moving his position and had hit his arms or legs against the wall accidentally. Then I heard laughing, and talking...huh...Then a crash, followed by another, followed by silence. Okay...I know he's up, and I know he's made a mess of his whole room, but hopefully he's now tuckered out and we'll pick up the mess when he wakes up. Yeah, wishful thinking. About 5 minutes later I hear more strange noises and decide I better check it out. I walk in, and Kallen is in the closet flipping his diaper genie back and forth (who knows what he's put in there...), his whole bookshelf has been emptied onto the floor, and somehow he reached the basket that's on his dresser and pulled it, and all it's contents onto the floor. Diapers, lotions, wipes and cotton swabs were scattered all over the room. Sheepishly Kallen emerges from the closet like a puppy with his tail between his legs. I said "Kallen...no, no...it's nappy time". Well my sweet darling boy, walks over to his crib, points inside and rests his head on his arm. Okay fine...so maybe the big boy bed was a little much right now. I put him in his crib, and he was out like a light the minute his head hit the mattress. Live and learn right. We'll just take it one nap at a time, and I might even consider padding the walls and emptying the room of everything!

Oh, and maybe the desk needs to move a little further away from the bed. I had it there as extra protection so he wouldn't fall out of bed...not as a climbing apparatus!!! How many kleenex's does one kid need?

2 comments:

Lani said...

Oh my gosh! I am cracking up! Andrew can climb in and out of his crib on his own (we are getting a "big boy bed" this weekend)and has managed to empty his entire dresser. The other day, he climbed up onto a kitchen chair and then onto the table and decided to try jumping from there to the kitchen counter (we have dine-in kitchen). Fortunately, I was at the sink and slid across the floor in time to catch him in mid-air. These crazy boys! What are we going to do with them!? :)

Dani said...

Kate, seriously this is too funny! Kallen is way too cute. I love him sitting on his tricycle too! I just want to squeeze him! Give him a squeeze for me ok. Love you and miss you!