Background

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Sleep...What's That?

As I sit here and cruise the Internet, my precious little babes are peacefully sleeping in there respectful beds, and I find myself wondering...huh...what's that like? The sleep that is? You see, ever since our newest family member made her arrival, I have maybe slept for 1 hour total. Okay, while that's a slight exaggeration, it sure doesn't feel like it.

You all might be saying "oh yes...I remember those days". The supposed days when infants haven't figured out their days and their nights and in turn they sleep all day, and are awake all night. Well my friends...I can't say that I remember those days, because my darling, wonderful, I'd give anything for his sister to follow suit, son, never had that problem. You see, from day one, Kallen knew his days and nights, and in fact he only woke up once a night until around 10 weeks when he began sleeping all night, and not waking!

Kynlee on the other hand is nearly impossible to wake up during the day, and just as impossible to get to sleep at night. Now...I can't complain too much, because while she may not sleep much at night, she also doesn't cry. She merely wants to be held so she can explore the world around (all 8 inches or so) from the comfort of her mommies arms!

Okay, now I do have to report that with great persistence, I've slowly been able to adjust her biological clock, and things seem to be going in the correct direction. Now she's only waking up around 1:30, and 5:00, compared to the 4 or 5 times a night it used to be, so that's good. I've also gotten to the point where I can feed, change, swaddle and rock her back to sleep within 30 minutes or so; where the first few weeks, we were up for hours at a time, trying to get her back to sleep.

People used to tell me that I had it lucky with Kallen, and until now I never understood what they meant. You never realize how much you value sleep until it's taken away from you! Now if you see me, and I have miss matching socks on and my hair is array...you'll know why. As long as my kids are dressed and I remember the spare diapers...we're good!

2 comments:

Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

Oh, I remember those sleepless days and nights. A full nights sleep makes all the difference in the world! Hope you can find sometime where you can have some guilt free sleep time!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

I am so sorry that you're having such a hard time. Surprisingly, our daughter was (is) a bad sleeper too. Our son is wonderful and I'm so thankful for the sleep he's allowing us to get right now.

Hang in there...