Background

Friday, August 31, 2007

3 Quarters

Have you ever had what I like to call a "turtle moment". One where if you were a turtle, you would climb into your shell never to emerge again. Well, I had one of those very moments, just the other day.

I was standing in line at the grocery store, with a full cart, and two kids who were more than ready to be done shopping. Just as the clerk began ringing up the last few items, I went to reach for my wallet, and what do you know...it wasn't in my purse. I instantly began having a panic attack (well not a real panic attack, just the kind where you want to disappear and go on with life as if it never happened.)

I told the clerk to "stop ringing things up because I didn't have my wallet." What does she say? "Well, how about a debit card or a credit card". "Uh yeah lady...they are in my WALLET". "Oh, how about your ID for the beer, and I'll ring everything up and set it aside". "Um...IN MY WALLET". Then I realized that I had opened the chips to give Kallen a little snack while we were in the store. She said "Well, we'll just void out the order", "fine" I said "except that I've already opened the chips, and I only have 3 quarters in my purse".

By this time my face was bright red, the people in line behind me were totally annoyed, as was the clerk, and the bag boy was looking at my like I was the worst human being ever.

I was hoping my wallet had just slipped out of my bag in the car somewhere, so I get Kallen and Kynlee out of the cart, leave my groceries behind and head out to the car to find the item in question!

There it was between the console and my drivers seat. We headed back into the store, actually equipt with some money this time, only to find that they truly had voided the entire order and needed to ring it all up again. I kept apologizing profusely to the clerk and bag boy, and they never uttered as much as a second hello. They just said "uhu". I grabbed my groceries, and the kids and headed out of the store totally flustered, annoyed and beyond embarrassed.

Life lesson #97...Always check for you wallet before heading into the grocery store!

4 comments:

Mikaila said...

I hate turtle moments!! I did the exact same thing once and had to go HOME for my wallet. Some days are just like that...

Lani said...

What a drag, Kati! Don't worry about it, though. I know it sucks at the time, but they'll get over it. If that's the worst thing to happen, we're all doing just fine. I'm impressed you managed to get to the store with the kiddos!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

I HATE it when that happens! And the sad thing, I still haven't learned my lesson yet. It's happened more times than I care to remember! =)

Melody C. Bondurant said...

Why is it, that there seems to be nothing new in this mothering bit! I have totally done the same thing. Kids beyond patience and seemingly no sympathy from the clerks! There has to be a book out there somewhere that warns us of these things ahead of time...Then it would just be being able to remember them. (smile)