Background

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Funny Hats, and Big Shoes

So, going out-n-about with the kiddos, just officially got hard. Up to this point, it's been relatively easy. Kynlee has been in her little carrier and I can set her down no matter where we're at: next to the car while I get kallen out, in the handicap stalls with us while I take Kallen potty, in the corner at MOPS so she can sleep, etc. etc.

Well, this last week, we decided that she was outgrowing her carrier, and it was time to put her in a big girl car seat! Good idea in theory, except for the logistic's of a two year old and a non walking 6 month old while we're out in public. Monday was the first time I went anywhere with both kids alone with our new seating arrangement...and let me tell you, I think I grew several grey hairs.

First was the fact that I couldn't really get Kynlee out first because I drive a big lifted rig and trying to climb up on the running boards with her in one arm all the while trying to unbuckle Kallen, would be a sight to see! If however I got Kallen out first, he would be able to run lose in the parking lot, and I think you can do the math there. Huh!

Then...what do you know, but the first store we walk into, Kallen needs to go potty. Fine, let's go...oh wait...what am I going to do with Kynlee? You see, he still needs help getting up and down from the toilet (especially public bathrooms where I really don't want him touching the thing), and I can't really sit Kynz down on the floor while I tend to Kal...gross...so once again, huh!

Getting back in the car...same dilemma. Kynlee first, then Kallen plays "frogger" with all the cars, Kallen first, and I look like a clown in a circus act, if in fact I don't drop either kiddo in the process.

So now it's Thursday, and I've simply decided to become a hermit! Okay, not really, but in all seriousness...we only go out when we need to. (Which was part of the "thinning out" plan was it not!) Then, when we do go out, it looks a little like this:

I unbuckle Kynlee first (she's on my side of the car), but leave her in her seat and run around and get Kallen out. Then Kallen comes with me and keeps one hand on the car at all times while I simply pull Kynlee out (much faster now that she's already unbuckled, and if Kal's 2 year old curiosity starts to take over, I'm not above the back seat spanking to show him how serious I am). Anyways...we head straight for the bathroom, where Kynlee rests straddled on one leg, while I prop Kal on the potty...talk about a balancing act! Then we're on our merry way. Same thing getting back in the car, Kynlee first, just sitting in her chair, then Kallen gets buckled in (and he's starting to be able to buckle himself, so that's nice) then I go around buckle Kynlee, and we're off. Hopefully the reminder note on my dash will prevent me from leaving Kynz unbuckled too many times! Oh, and the front pack and sling have also become my second set of hands...they just stay in the car so I never forgot them! Phew...I think we're figuring it out!

All that for a gallon of milk...who needs to eat, right!

Blessings,

5 comments:

The Copeland's said...

That is too funny! It is A TON harder with two, especially when the baby is out of the infant seat. I always unbuckle Deagan, but leave him in the car, go around and get Bray unbuckled and have Deag get out on Bray's side. It sure is interesting.......

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

I was laughing out loud while reading this post, mostly because I can SO relate. It is HARD work getting two out the door and juggling errands. We have also learned the hand on the car at all times trick!! And Devyn is finally able to get herself all the way into her seat, which is a huge help!

Hang in there, Kati, it has to get easier. It HAS to!

Unknown said...

Oh no, you are scaring me :)

Lani said...

And people wonder why I never leave the house!!! This is why I had to teach Andrew to get out of the car and touch it. "Andrew, hands on the car. Do NOT take your hands off the car...". I used to leave Tori unbuckled while I got Andrew out, but then she figure out how to inch her way out of her seat and...BAM...hit the floorboard. SO...Andrew out first, stand touching the car and mommy's legs and Tori out. Getting IN the car is easy! Open Andrew's door and tell him to climb in his seat and wait (yeah, we have a sedan) while I put Tori in. He buckles, I check and we're off. IT SUCKS!! I HATE CAR SEATS! Can't wait for those to go away!!!

Aleah said...

It gets easier when they turn 3 or 4! I have lots of fun when I go out also. ; )