Background

Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Wheels on the Bus...

I've never been one to have toys lying around the house, that can't be put away in an inconspicuous place. The kids toys that are in the living room, have their own cupboard in the entertainment center so the doors can be shut and the toys not seen. Big toys that don't fit in the cupboard go in bedrooms or in the garage. Basically everything has it's place, and everything is in it's place, and the house doesn't look like it's being ran by kids. That being said...

For the last year or so, Costco has had an Activity Bus for sale that since the moment he saw it, Kallen has been pining after. That first fateful day while walking through the store, Kallen spotted the bus from across the room, ran with full force towards it, and played non-stop for 30 minutes or so while I did some shopping (with him in sight the whole time of course!). My first thought was that this wonderful activity bus would be a great Christmas present, but those thoughts were immediately replaced with..."where will it go?" I decided that in our house, the "little" bus was just too big. We left that day, no worries.



The months that followed, every time we went to Costco, Kallen found the bus and was just as thrilled with it as the first time he saw it. Ponder, ponder..."nope, too big, and too expensive". Then, sometime in November, we went to Costco as a family, and the darn bus was on sale, and had the mark that they wouldn't be getting it back in the store again! The price was much better, but the "it's too big and "ugly"" thoughts were still running through my mind. We went back a week or so before Christmas, and all the buses, had finally sold out. Kallen wandered through the store, tears-a-streamin', because they no longer had the bus. I asked the front counter, and there was only 1 bus left in the whole Costco chain, and it was in Helena Montana (just a short jaunt...ha, ha). I had finally realized that I was being silly about my reasons for not wanting the bus that would bring such joy to my little man, and was ready to go ahead and get it...too little too late.

I went home that day, and got on the Internet to see what I could find. Finally, after searching, digging, and prying for quite some time, I found the bus! It couldn't be here by Christmas, but that was no big deal. (We're not a "big" Christmas present family anyways...little things do just dandy!) Anyways...this way, it would just be a special little something that showed up one day.

It arrived in the mail yesterday, and Kevin and I put it together once this kids went to bed...setting up the surprise for the morning. After waking up on the wrong side of the bed, and throwing a bit of a tired fit...Kallen spotted the bus, and tears of frustration were replaced with giggles of excitement. He's having so much fun with it, and although it's a little "goddy" and large, for my taste...it's "hidden" in his bedroom! The singing of "The Wheels on the Bus" while he's behind the wheel is just too darn cute!





Blessings,

4 comments:

Kim said...

Whoa that bus is super cool! My lil guy would LOVE that thing, but man-oh-man is it huge! In the first picture I thought it was quite small but I thought wrong! I bet he is having a blast with it!

Jodiferkay said...

Hi Kati! I hear you on wanting to keep toys inconspicious and out of the way but in this case, you were so right to toss that aside and buy the bus! Kallen looks like he's having a BLAST and is just too cute. Love how you guys surprised him.

Jennisa said...

that is the coolest! No wonder why he wanted it so much!

Sarah said...

My friend has this and I really want one for my son too! He loves it! I can't seem to find it anywhere. If you want to get rid of it, let me know :)