Background

Monday, August 4, 2008

Shoot Me Now...The Sequel

Okay...so I'm finally getting around to this, although it's not going to be nearly as exciting as the 2 week build up would make it seem!

Anyways...the bottom line is that I really "Like" my sister! I have always "loved" her, but I haven't always "liked" her! You know, that love/hate relationship that many siblings share...yeah, well that was us!

Though obviously raised the same way, by the same parents, attending the same schools...yadda, yadda...we are two very different people! Danielle's tall with dark hair, while I'm on the shorter side with blond hair. I was a cheerleader, she made fun of the cheerleaders. I skipped class, she attended class! She had a few best friends, I had many acquaintances...and on and on!

As kids, I didn't always appreciate our differences, thinking I was always "better" than her and her friends, and "knowing" she always wanted to be like me...ha ha ha! In all seriousness though, we have never been really close as some sisters are. That's always something I've been sad about, though my much younger, immature self, would have never admitted that.

Recently however, we've been going through some really tough emotional family things and as a result, my sister and I are more bonded now than ever! We still don't see eye to eye on everything, but we have an understanding of each others differences and are able to accept each other for those differences. I've talked to my sister on the phone more in the last couple of months than I probably have in all the years prior! I truly "like" my sister, just as much as I "love" her, and it's so great!

So...now that all that sap is out of the way, and in honor of her 30th birthday (which has now turned into a birth-month or something since it's been drug on for so long) I thought I'd post 30 random things that I know about Danielle...let's see which 30 things I pull out of my hat!

In no particular order:
1. She hates spiders as much as me (though she tried to convince me that she's over it now...yeah right)
2. She's the best IM buddy anyone could ever have
3. She's really, really creative
4. She likes to cook, and to cook unique and creative things (All she used to be able to make was this macaroni salad that became her specialty or something...she's come a long way)
5. She's got 2 adorable little boys, and plans for several more kids (I think 6 total...wahoo...bring on the nieces and nephews)
6. She'd be okay if she had all boys...yup...that's what she really wants, and to tell you the truth...if anyone could handle a house full of all boys...she could!
7. She used to call me "jabba the hut" (so I had a little chub as a baby...big deal!)
8. She finds the funniest things in magazine's and clips them for use in random projects down the road!
9. She loves "slapstick" humor in movies
10. Quote movies with her, and you'll be her friend
11. She's addicted to the TV...no, not what you think...she actually doesn't watch TV hardly at all...but when a TV is on in front of her, it's like tunnel vision, as if nothing else is happening around her. Don't even try and have a convo with her with the TV on!!! It's bad I tell ya!
12. She drove a little brown car around for the longest time, that I probably wouldn't have been caught dead in, and LOVED it!
13. She once had a marsh mellow land on her nose...while it was on fire...ouch!
14. Some people know her as Emu
15. Others as Plankton
16. While driving, she never actually came to a complete stop at the stop sign at the bottom of Skillings Dr..."California stops" every time!
17. She assesses nicknames to every one, and every thing...like her son "chunk"!
18. She's lived overseas, and plans on going back for many years to come...in fact, if we're getting technical...
19. ...she basically has two homes...one here, and one there!
20. She once asked me to "smell her butt", don't ask me why, but I did...and then she farted!
21. She's a sucker for the sappy old time romances...Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, etc. etc.
22. She loves coffee
23. and hates sardines...okay, I don't really know if she hates sardines, but I sure do.
24. She once made "pet mice" out of some pesky mice in her dorm room cupboards
25.I just heard recently that she tried to get her sister in law to re-plant a "nettle" in her yard because she was convinced that it was a beautiful plant, and not actually a weed...not knowing it was a nettle of course...always looking for the good I tell ya!
26. She makes stuff up
27. She learned to water ski at 5
28. She loves to read
29. She once bought a hideous chair (one I wouldn't have paid two cents for) at a random garage sale we were driving buy, and it turned out to be one of the most comfortable and well liked chairs you would have ever sat in...she may even still have that chair...I still remember trying to fit it into the car
30. And last but not least, if she had a million dollars...she'd buy me a monkey (haven't you always wanted a monkey) and a fur coat (but not a real fur coat, cause that's cruel)!

So there you have it...30 random things about my random sister, in a rather random order. I love you Danielle!


Blessings,

4 comments:

Erin said...

You know, Graham and his brother did not "like" each other until Graham moved out after High School. Now they are closer than they ever have been and actually enjoy each others company! crazy how that works...

Laura said...

oohhh.... I am laughing and crying all at the same time:)

Jodiferkay said...

#26 is one of my favorite things about Dani! I LOVE how she actually believes her own stories! Yet another sign of #3, her creativity. I too heard about the nettle planting episode, can't you just totally picture that? What a great sis you have. Praying for your family!

BruceandBarbara said...

How fun to honor your sister with "30 things". Do you mind if I borrow that for my sister (except it will be a little bit more than 30)?
PS I owned a monkey as a kid! Really! It bit my kneecap and forehead...weird places to get bit!