Background

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

False Alarm!!!

Sunday evening, we went over to some friends house, to help them install their new hot tub! I wasn't feeling the greatest...fatigued, sore, just kind of "blah". I told Kevin he was on "Kallen duty", because I didn't feel like I could chase him around their house all evening, and I was just going to sit in a chair in the corner and keep to myself! So I took it easy while we were there, and upon arriving home later that evening, I started having more regular contractions.

As I've mentioned before...I've been having miscellaneous contractions off and on for the past month or so. These were different. They were more consistent, and definitely more than just a tightening of the uterus like Braxton Hicks are. I went to bed, not thinking much of it, and woke up at 2:00 am with even stronger contractions that were 6 minutes apart, and lasting any where from 30-50 seconds each. Huh...I still have 4 1/2 weeks to go, and I was feeling a bit nervous that this baby was too early!

I called the "on-call" doctor who said to try and get some more rest, and to not be anxious about the timing. She said babies born at 36 weeks, and even before generally do "just fine", and not to worry! If I went to the hospital at that point, they wouldn't try to stop the labor, and I'd just be hanging out well before I needed to be there! Okay...I'll just try to get some sleep.

Yeah right! All that kept running through my mind was the fact that I was totally "not ready" for this little one to arrive, and I better get up and get some things done! We had just ran the dishwasher, so I needed to unload the dishes, my hospital bag wasn't exactly packed, and neither was Kallen's bag...oh Kallen...where's he going to go?, The birds cage and surrounding area need cleaned, the furniture should probably be moved so we can vacuum under it, etc., etc. Who wants to come home from the hospital with a brand new baby, and cheerios under the couch!!! Okay, so maybe I wasn't exactly thinking rationally. Kevin told me to calm down and just relax. Fine...a couple hours later, after counting contractions like a little kid counts sheep, I fell asleep!

I woke up yesterday morning, and like a mad woman started preparing for the possibility of our newest arrival! The contractions started to slow down a little, but they still weren't gone. I knew these weren't the kind of contractions to "write home about", but with the VBAC and possible complications, Kevin wanted to go see the doctor.
So we did. Everything looked great, the baby is doing great, and I'm 2 cm and 50% effaced. Well, as most of you know...women can be dialated 2 cm and more for several weeks before labor actually begins, so no big surprise. They sent us home and said I was in "false labor"! If I had wanted to go ahead with a repeat C-section, they would have admitted me then, and gone ahead and taken the baby...hmmmm tempting, but since I want to try and have a VBAC...no go!

Well...you all might be surprised, but in a way I'm relieved. I'm not fully ready for this little one, and to give up my one on one time with Kallen yet. Besides...each and every day that our little "bun" can cook, is better for them! Now don't get me wrong...I'm definitely uncomfortable and ready for this baby to "get out", but I want what's best for our little man or lady, and know it's all worth the wait in the end!

So here we are waiting for the "real alarm", and just riding through the false ones!!!

6 comments:

Mikaila said...

I can't wait for the real alarm!!! :o) Take it easy on doing all those things you now know are a priority before the little one is born. :o)

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh, yes, I remember those very well! =) I was 4cm dilated and 50% effaced for 4 weeks!!! I pray that you won't have to wait that long. Just long enough to get the things done you want to get done. Anxiously waiting to meet the new arrival!!

Lani said...

We are praying for you guys constantly. Hang in there!

Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

Oh my goodness...it's getting closer! How exciting! I agree...the offer for a csection must have been a very tempting offer!

Anonymous said...

wow!

i can't wait for the little one to be born...i need validation that i am right about the sex!

but i don't want it to be born until its fully cooked...i'll be thinking of you two and wishing all the best!!

Aleah said...

Best wishes in enduring those false starts! Been there, it's such a mind game!
Soon and very soon though. : )