Background

Friday, July 20, 2007

A Little Dose of Hormones

The original plan was that Kevin would bring Kallen up to the hospital around 12:00, Kynlee and I would be discharged, and we'd all head home as a family! I woke up, took a shower, and got things ready to leave...That was until the pediatrician came in to do his discharge check on Kynlee.

After checking her out, and looking over her charts, he felt that something just wasn't right. He ordered an x-ray of her chest to rule out infection, and requested a urine analysis to rule out a Urinary Tract Infection. He wouldn't sign her out, until those things came up clear. Now I was getting antsy. They did the x-ray, it came up clear, and now we had to wait for our little angel to give them a urine sample. We were told we could go home early morning, but now that we had to wait, there was no guarantee what time we could go home.

That is where it all began...but the method of acquiring the urine is what "set me off". They place (with tape the strength of duct tape) a bag on the babies "private" area to catch the urine. Fine, not pleasant, but if it helps get us out of the hospital, I'm game. Well...the original nurse who put it one, placed it a little too far back, and when Kynlee had a bowel movement, it compromised the sample. They ripped, and I mean ripped it off, said "well, it looks like we'll have to wait longer", and proceeded to place another bag on her. At that point, my hormones took over, and the tears began streaming down my face. Any and everything the nurses said to me made me cry, and I couldn't talk to anyone without completely loosing it! Wow...I didn't see that coming!

At this point, we were still getting ready to be discharged, we were just waiting for a little pee...until the nurse came in and said that the pediatrician had just called and wanted Kynlee to stay another 24 hours. WHAT??? I turned to Kevin, and totally lost it. How could they get my hopes up, tell me we were going home and that everything was okay, then drop a bomb on me that we needed to stay yet another night.

We were told we could be in a "family" room, were it was basically like a hotel...but they could still keep an eye on the baby. Kallen would be able to stay with us, and we could come and go from the hospital as we wished. Not exactly like being home, but at least I got to be with my little boy, and they weren't poking and prodding me every couple of hours.

Okay...now I'll spare you a couple hours of details (finally you're thinking) and jump right into the fact that Kynlee's new nursery nurse was a God send, who did everything in her power to get us home that night. After several blood tests, and a long respiratory check, she felt that Kynlee looked GREAT! She wasn't exactly sure what the doctor was concerned with, and made a phone call to him on our behalf. About and hour later that angel nurse walked into our room, and asked if I would like to sleep in my own bed, with my precious baby girl by my side. I could have cried...I didn't however, cause all my tears had already been cried out!!!

Well...That was that! The nurse discharged Kynlee, and we were on our way home! Finally!!!

1 comment:

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Oh, Kati, that is such a sweet story. Thank you SO much for sharing it with me. I totally get you on the hormones. They ROCK my world after every birth! =)