Background

Monday, July 16, 2007

Sunnyside Up, or Over Easy?

As soon as the doctor checked me and said I was "fully dilated", the reality set in...we were going to meet our son or daughter very soon! I don't know that I've seen Kevin that giddy since Kallen was born. His eyes lit up, and he couldn't stop giving me kisses!

"Here we go" said the nurse...and with that I began pushing, and pushing, and pushing. For whatever reason, my contractions had slowed to 4 minutes apart, and weren't getting any closer. The doctor and nurses were joking around with me (yes, my epidural was GREAT!), that it was time to send me home since my contractions weren't getting any closer!!! No, in all seriousness...we just waited the 4 minutes between, and I gave it my all with each contraction that came.

After about an hour of pushing, the doctor felt that the baby should be descending more than she was, and something might not be right. She did a thorough check, and said "I think the ear is backwards"...uh what? Kevin looked startled and said "the ear is backwards?" She just laughed and said..."What I mean is that the baby is Sunnyside up, the ear is facing the opposite direction, and that's how I knew!" Oh...relief passed over both our faces. Her solution, since I had the epidural and all, was to try and turn the baby around. Using a combination of the contractions, pushing, and lots of deep breathing, she pushed, pulled, and turned 4 different times until the baby was in the "favorable" position! As soon as she did that...2 more pushes and our little princess had arrived.

The look on Kevin's face when he realized we had a little girl was priceless. With tear filled eyes, he gave me a kiss and said..."we have a daughter! You did it hunny...she's beautiful!"

They placed my little girl on my chest and instantly I was in love! We waited and waited for her to cry, but all we got were little wheezes! After a few minutes of hugging and kisses our beautiful angel, the pediatrician felt she needed to be checked out a little more thoroughly! They felt she was a "little sluggish" (exactly what they told me about Kallen) and that they needed to take her to the nursery! Here we go again is all I could think!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Congrats again! It's great seeing the slide show of pictures. Thanks for sharing!