Background

Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Messy Job

We haven't actually started "potty training" Kallen per say, because I really want to make sure he's ready before I go through the headache of it all. We have a little potty chair, talk about it while changing diapers, and openly allow him to be there and involved when Kevin and I are using the restroom (he flushes for us, and washes his hands with us, etc.).

He has in fact successfully used the potty chair on a couple of different occasions, simply because I "caught him in the act" and got him to the bathroom in time!

He turns 2 in a couple of weeks, and that was going to be my "hard core" potty training starting point. I've heard when they're ready, they're ready, and the training process is relatively "easy". If you push it too early, it either takes a lot longer, or they tend to refuse the process all together. Not sure if that's the case, but we went with it!

Anyways...yesterday I was on the phone with Kevin and looked over to notice that Kallen had taken off his diaper. Okay...no big deal...When I get off the phone I'll put a new one on him (he's past the "get a diaper on him quick" age...I thought). Not even a couple of minutes later, I see my darling son squatting in the corner...pooping. AHHHH..."I pooped" he said. I instantly hung up with Kevin, grabbed Kallen and helped him continue the task at hand in the appropriate place!

He went, we cheered, and then the clean-up began. Sorry to be graphic...but at least it was a log, not a blob! It was at that point I realized that he is definitely ready to begin this whole process, and I mentally prepared myself for the messy job that is Potty Training!

3 comments:

Lani said...

You know, it's really not too bad of a process. I LOVE it that Andrew is trained! SO NICE! Treats (skittles for peeing, Starburts for pooping) worked well for us. Just a thought. :) GOOD LUCK!

Aleah said...

Nice! Your right at least it was a log. ;)
You know, a bad experience can turn the table at any age 1,2 or 3 of potty training!
It is nice when they start taking themselves!

Jessica and Joe said...

Sounds like fun, logs are better than blobs! :)