Background

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Just a Little Reminder

My sister Danielle (who happens to be a few years older... and wiser) and I were talking the other day about potty training. I was voicing my frustrations with her, that I feel as if I'm the one who is trained...not Kallen. I ask/remind him every 30 minutes or so if he has to use the potty, and up until the last couple of weeks...we've had no real issues. When we're at home, he uses the bathroom himself, and I rarely even have to remind him...when we're out and about however...if I don't remember...he doesn't remember and wet pants we have!

Well, since we've been out and about so much the last few weeks...wet pants have been our middle name. Camping, I put him back in pull-ups, cause lets face it...although I basically took everything but the kitchen sink...the washer and dryer wouldn't fit very well in the camper. So...Now that he's been in pull-ups for the past several days...he's slightly regressed a little...and I've been forgetting to remind him to go.

So...my oh so wise sister suggested a watch. Brilliant idea. We went out, and got him a cheapo Casio watch that actually has a countdown timer on it that beeps every 30 minutes. He thinks he's so cool cause he's got his own watch, and we once again are going without accidents.

I have to remind myself that he's still young, and it's okay that he has to be reminded to go. He'll start telling me soon enough, and at least he goes every time I take him. So for now, we'll use the watch...a reminder for him as for me!!!

Blessings,

5 comments:

Lani said...

That's such a great idea!!! Nice work, Dani!

With Andrew, we gave him one skittle if I had to remind him to use the potty and two skittles if HE asked to go. That seemed to really help, too!

Laura said...

Gotta Love WISE OLD SISTERS:)

Melody C. Bondurant said...

That's a great idea. I had a similar problem when I was potty training Justus. I was always so occupied getting errands done that the whole "potty training" slipped my mind.
However, hope for the future. I rarely have to remind him...or even help anymore except when we need me to help wipe. They do move forward! : )

Dani said...

Kate, I'm not really all that wise, just learned from experience. Remember when I was in the first grade and I use to wet my pants all the time because I got too involved in what I was doing to go? Ya, well Mom and Dad gave me a watch to remember to go to the bathroom. So I guess wetting your pants all the time when you're little pays off. Just think of all the wisdom Kallen is getting right now!

Kim said...

Now that is a FANTASTIC idea!
I may have to use that when we start training.
I am having frustrations of my own b/c Landen will be 2 1/2 in May and I ask him all of the time if he wants to go on the potty and he says "no." all the time......grrrr