Background

Friday, April 27, 2007

Alaska - Installment #4

Here goes the not so pleasant final stage in our trip to Alaska:

Sorry if this turns into a LONG venting session for me. Hopefully you'll understand where all my ranting and raving comes from when I'm through!

Back tracking just a tad...When I went through the security checks in Portland, I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew that security was high, and that they were very particular about what is allowed in your carry-on. Due to that fact, I made sure that any scissors, clippers, tweezers and the like were in my checked luggage, and that my carry-on was free of contraband...so I thought. Well, getting up to the line I realized they were being very particular about liquids. You needed a clear bag with all your "liquids" in it, and there was a volume amount that was allowed. Being that we had such long layovers, I had all our bathroom things, shampoo, lotions, etc., etc. in my carry-on.

The line in Portland was really long, I had the stroller, a restless kiddo, our bags, and I definitely looked like I had my hands full. The security lady looked over my bag of bathroom goodies, kind of gave a funny look and said "these things are borderline". I told her sorry, I didn't know, and she let me through...no big deal. Well...Fairbanks, not so nice.

Here I am, saying goodbye to my friends, and anxiously awaiting the flight home to see one very missed husband and daddy. "Shoes, coats, blankets, things for the baby, and anything liquid in the tray please." Sure, no big deal, we've been through this before. Then came the problems...shampoo & conditioner, garbage, lotions, garbage, garbage, garbage, garbage. Gee, thanks for leaving the toothpaste and toothbrush at least! Fine, I understand, just let me get on the plane. "uh ma'am, you're going to need to come with us...we need to thoroughly check your bag." What...what do they need to check my bag for, because I'm carrying a toddler, my arms are full, and I just want to get home. Fine, check away. Out comes a sealed Apple juice box, my liquid foundation, and a sealed cup of mandarin oranges. "Why didn't you disclose that you had these things in your bag ma'am. These are liquid items, and we asked for all liquids." Are you kidding me...um, because I wasn't really thinking about it, and quite frankly I forgot. "Well, we need to confiscate them, and we need to bomb sweep your entire bag, stroller, and any loose belongings. Ahhhhhhh, fine...sweep away.

All clear, big surprise...Now we board the plane. Once again on the flight from Anchorage to Fairbanks we had an entire row to ourselves, which was a blessing from God as it turns out because of the roughness of the flight. Let me tell you...I haven't been on a lot of airplanes in my life, but this was the worse flight I've ever heard of. The turbulence was so bad that the flight attendants never left there seats, and the plane didn't stop rockin' and a shaken' until we landed. We had multiple "bags" (the little ones in front of everyone's seat...catch my drift) passed to the center isle, and the paramedics even had to be called for one lady because she was so sick, and so weak they were afraid to let her get off the plane. Thank you Lord we were on land!

We found our trusty Anchorage nursery room, laid Kallen in the crib, took a cat nap myself, then headed to our final plane. Plane number two also had major turbulence issues, but nothing like the seat mates I had next to me. I'm already rambling enough, so I'll save that little story for another time...it's a duzzy. Needless to say, we didn't have an extra seat next to us, because the entire flight was full, so that was an interesting dynamic to add to the flight! Kallen did fine, slept on my lap almost the whole time, and woke up just in time to see the lights of Portland. Remember I mentioned this earlier...Here's the daddy story. It's 5:00 am, the entire plane is silent and everyone is asleep. Kallen finds the window shade and thinks it's funny to open and shut it, open and shut it. Fine, he's being quiet, and he's not disturbing anyone. Then we see the lights and I simply say..."look Kallen, we're almost home. My precious son blurts out in almost a scream "dadda". Wow...that woke everyone up around us. Then he proceeds to lift the shade up and down, and every time he pulls it up, he yells "dadda" again and again. I tried to get him to stop by distracting him, but all he wanted was his dadda and he was going to let everyone know!

We landed safe and sound, Kallen got to see his daddy, and we climbed in the car headed for home sweet home! It was a great trip, but we were glad to be home!

Thanks for listening to my rambling during these Alaska installments. We hoped you enjoyed reading all about our trip.

4 comments:

Lani said...

You are kidding me--apple juice and mandarine oranges?!? *sigh* That's just insane. I love the "Dada" part, though--that is so great and I'm sure, no matter how disturbed everyone was, they really thought it was cute more than anything else. :) We are flying to the East Coast this summer--I will have to make sure all our liquids are "disclosed" and properly bagged. Sheesh!

Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

I would have been as ticked as you were! I love the part about him screaming when everyone is sleeping! Glad you had a good time, and that Kallen was pumped to see Dadda!

Mikaila said...

I loved reading about your trip! I can't wait to hear the story about the people next to you on the plane. =)

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

I've enjoyed reading about your trip to Alaska. I am so sorry about the problems with security; it is getting a little ridiculous. I remember going through security with a 4-month-old. Man, talk about nerve-racking. And why, oh why, do I need to take a baby's shoes off? Give me a break!! =)