Background

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Daddy's Boy


I've come to the conclusion, that I'm rapidly losing "my" baby boy! Here's the deal...for the past 17 months, Kallen has been quite the mamma's boy. When he's hurt, he wants me, if he's fussy, only I can calm him, I'm the last hug he wants at night, and the first face he wants to see in the morning, etc., etc.!!! Well, all of that is now changing, and not very slowly might I add.

Ever since our trip to Alaska, Kallen has been on a daddy kick. When Kevin would call to say hello, it was all I could do to get the phone away from a couple of little hands who didn't want to let his daddy's voice go away. Then on the plane ride back, Kallen saw the lights of Portland out our window, and at the top of his lungs yelled "dadda" (I'll tell you more about that story later). When we walked to the area of the airport where your friends and family can meet you, Kallen saw Kevin and I've never seen his little legs move so fast. He was in Kevin's arms before I could blink my eyes, and we finally had to pry his little fingers lose when we got to the car and it was time to go home!

So began the daddy saga. Now, for those of you who don't know, I'm a stay at home mom, and Kevin works. As a result, Kallen generally only gets to see Kevin from around 5:30 when he gets home, until 8:00 when it's bedtime. Then, on Wednesdays they don't get to see each other at all because Kevin bowls in a bowling league, and Kallen goes to bed well before he gets home. Well on Wednesday night (the first Wednesday since we've been home) Kallen had a REALLY rough time. From about 4:30 on, he basically didn't stop crying, and was continually looking around the house for his "daddy". I muddled through the fussiness, and put Kallen to bed like usual. Well...his attitude hadn't changed any, even when he woke up. He was still fussy, and looking all over for "daddy".

About 5:00 tonight, he began walking to the front door, calling out "daddy", then coming back to me with the saddest look you've ever seen. I kept saying...he's almost home, just hang in there. 5:20ish roles around, and the front door opens...Kallen's eyes got as big as baseballs, and his smile went from ear to ear. He stood paralyzed in anticipation for that one face he had been longing to see for the past day or so. Then came the "hello"...it was Brandy, coming to pick up Dawson. "oh" said Kallen, and what sounded like "it's you" in his eawok jibber jabber. He then gave Brandy the polite "hello" smile, though you could see the disappointment on his face. From that moment on, our little man decided to park himself on the front porch, and wait for his daddy to come home.

When the oh so familiar truck finally pulled in the driveway, it was all I could do to keep Kallen from leaping off the deck and running to greet him. All my little boy's troubles were over, his daddy was home!

5 comments:

Lani said...

That's so cute! Andrew is the same way and it started about six months ago. He won't let me put him to bed--he shoves me out of his bedroom and says, "NO! Daddy do it!" Works for me! :) One of my favorite parts of the day is when we're headed to track practice and I get to ask Andrew, "Do you want to go bye-bye to see Daddy?" His whole face lights up and he is grabbing jackets, shoes, hats and whatever else he might need and is headed to the door.

Anonymous said...

all i can say is maybe its a blessing in disguise! soon you will have another one and it might just be helpful that he wants to go to daddy, that way you will have more time for the little one. one can only hope, right?

:)

Anonymous said...

Very cute, I could see how you would be a little sad. But it made for a very cute story.

Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

That's adorable! What a daddy's boy! I bet your husband is loving this right now! VERY cute photo too!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

That is the cutest story ever! With my daughter, she really has fluxuated between being a mama's girl and daddy's girl. But my son is definitely a mama's boy right now. =)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. You will LOVE having two babies!