Background

Thursday, April 26, 2007

It's a mystery to me!

I've been taking a "Mystery" quilt class once a month since March, and why I'm doing it is a big mystery to me. What I mean by that is, this is so far out of my comfort zone, it's driving me crazy. Here's the premise: They told us in the beginning, to get 3 or 4 color families of fabric, and one contrasting light background color. They told us how much to get, and how to cut all the pieces. Then each month we get new instructions on what to do with the pieces, though we don't know what the final quilt is going to look like.

I'm a big planner when it comes to my quilting, and I like everything to flow together. They told us if we like our fabrics, then we will like how everything comes together in the end, but I'm just not convinced yet. I've enjoyed the experience so far, but It's a little nerve racking at times. A good test in trust they told us (they being the teachers).


I enjoy quilting, which is one of the reasons that I'm taking this class, but not the main one. I've decided that I need some time to myself every once in a while, allowing Kevin to have some time with Kallen. Although this is only once a month, it still serves it's purpose! This week however, Kevin had bowling at the exact same time as my class, so we needed a babysitter. My parents had a meeting themselves, and my mother-in-law is taking the class with me...that left grandpa...my father-in-law.


No worries, of course Grandpa is going to do fine with the little guy, but dropping him off, I had my doubts. Not that I thought Rod (my FIL) would do a bad job, but because of Kallen's mood. He hadn't taken a nap or eaten all day, was a little sick, and is still clinging on to me as if I'm going to leave him forever. Besides that, my class was from 7-9 pm, right in the middle of Kallen's 8 o'clock bedtime. Everyone Kept telling me to just walk out the door, and let grandpa deal with it. So, that's what I did.


I left with Rod on the couch, Kallen playing with his toys, and all was well. Sheri (my MIL) and I snuck out the back door and went to sew. I truly only "worried" about Kallen a couple of times while sewing, though everyone kept assuring me everything was fine.


At 9:00, we packed up, and headed back to Rod & Sheri's house. We walked in with Rod in the exact spot we left him, only he was asleep and there were toys everywhere. We looked for Kallen, but didn't see him, so we figured grandpa had put him to bed in one of the rooms, then came back out to rest himself. Nope...grandpa heard us, woke up and pointed to the fireplace mantel straight ahead of him. There was my son, curled up on the fireplace, sound asleep.



Rod said he had been playing very contently by himself, then all the sudden climbed up on the mantel. He played with the sign a little big, sat there and looked at his grandpa as if to say "you've got your chair, and I've got mine", then kind of just leaned over, laid down, and out he was. Why he chose right there, is a mystery to us all!

8 comments:

Aleah said...

That's so funny! I wish my kids would just fall asleep anywhere like that! Sounds like he's got a good Grandpa. : )
It'll be fun to see the final product of the quilt when you're finished. I'm sure it'll be fun for you to see too!

Kim said...

What a sweetheart, falling asleep in the most random spots, gotta love it

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

What a cute photo...Kudos for you for catching him in the act!

Lani said...

Too cute! He was tuckered out and that seemed like a good spot.

Mikaila said...

That is too funny. =)
Ok, question about the quilt. Did you start with 12" by 12" pieces of fabric, and are you cutting diagonal one way and putting the top piece on the bottom and cutting another diagonal and other weird things? If so, I can tell you how it will look in the end. =) Otherwise, it's a mystery to me, too!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

That picture made me smile! He must have been one tired little guy! That was precious indeed!

Beth said...

Thanks so much for the input, I am going to keep your email address on hand for future questions, if that's ok!