Background

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Patience...and earplugs are always a bonus!

So I'm having one of those "okay Lord...help me through this" kind of a day! We woke up early this morning in order to be at our company meeting (Kallen and I attend these when they celebrate someones birthday!). The meetings go from roughly 7:30-8:00 which was great for me this morning. You see, I had MOPS at 9:00, and this is our last "official" MOPS meeting until the fall. At the last meeting, we always have a potluck style brunch, and I was in charge of bringing an egg/protein dish. Well...you can't very well make an egg dish ahead of time, and let it hang out in the car for a few hours...who wants cold eggs...so I needed a game plan.

The idea was to run to my mom's house between the meeting and MOPS, prepare and cook the "egg whatever" that I had planned, then head to MOPS at 9:00. Great plan!!! Yeah, Great plan until Kallen decided he would scream the entire time I was preparing it, and wanted nothing but to be in my arms! Grandma took him outside to see the fish in their pond, and that calmed him down for a split second! He ate some eggs of his own and a banana, and was happy as a clam...for the time being.

We loaded up, headed to MOPS, and no sooner did we walk in the door and he let loose. The crying wasn't even stopping while I was holding him. Fit throwing sobs, while clinging on to me for dear life. All I wanted was to go to my final MOPS group of the year, not hear a peep out of Kallen, and actually enjoy myself...Huh...

I sat with him for a while, until one of the workers said she was taking a group outside. OUTSIDE...yes...Kallen's favorite place to be. He ran over to the door, with my coaxing of course, and out he went. That was my cue to sneak upstairs. Finally, freedom!!! I had about 45 minutes of that freedom, until I could hear him crying all the way across the building. Sure enough, up walks one of the workers carrying my bloody murder screaming son, saying, "sorry...we just can't get him to stop." Yup...I know the drill..."come here kiddo". So there Kallen sat with me and all the other ladies for the remainder of the time. It wouldn't be all that bad, except he kept crying, throwing fits, and whining every couple of minutes. Sigh...Deep breaths. 11:00, time to head home!

He falls asleep in the car, then wakes up an hour later and it seems as if he never stopped crying. For 30 minutes we walk around, looking at different things, trying a snack, some juice, anything to get the crying to stop. Nothing is working. His bulldozer isn't doing what he wants it to be doing (not sure what that was, but it wasn't doing it). The juice wasn't right, I was sitting not standing...etc, etc, etc. Ahhhhh...I decided to ignore him, and let him throw his little fit...The one he'd been throwing all day...so that's where we're at. Every couple of minutes he'll cry about something, then calm down for a few.

I think I may go curl up in my closet with a book, flashlight, and some really good earplugs!

7 comments:

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

While those tantrums are tough to endure (we've had more than our fair share), its also nice to know that we're wanted that much! =) I hope you found that book and those ear plugs! It sounds like some Mommy time is definitely the order of the day!

Amy... said...

GIRL for Aubree and Derek!

Mikaila said...

I hope today is better. =)

Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

BREATHE...BREATHE...and a hot shower is what I do. I never knew a shower could be so nice... :)

Kim said...

I understand exactly what you are going through. Landen is dong the same thing at times, right now more than ever (he's teething) and when he wakes up from naps he is so incredibly cranky and I dont know what to do to make him stop cruing either. Usually I will set him down, he will throw his fit, and I got sit on the floor and play with his toys, then he sees and decides to come and join me, although that doesn't always work either, he usually wants to go outside! Oh and yes, hot showers and baths are nice stress relievers

Lani said...

*sigh* Does NOT sound like a fun day. I do hope today is going more smoothly. Hang in there!

Aleah said...

I've had those days and I know more will come!
Tonight when I went grocery shopping at the check out (with a very full cart) I realized that I didn't have my debit card - nothing...sigh.
At least there are good days that erase the bad though, right?!
PS Ella wants to be held all day long right now too. I'm guessing 2 yr. molars -the boys got them early also.