Background

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Peace at Last!!!

Here's a little update from outside the closet...and no ear plugs!!!

Last Tuesday was probably the roughest day I've had with Kallen and one I hope to never repeat! I think however in all the madness and tears I realized a little something about my little man...his need for Quality time (I'll get to that later). I was basically up all night Tuesday trying to figure out where I've gone "wrong" with Kallen, and how I can help him. I prayed that the Lord would give me patience and understanding with Kallen, and that he would give me wisdom to know how to deal with him on a day to day basis!

I woke up the next day with a sense of peace and calm about the day ahead. I tried to be calm and soft spoken with him, give him a chance to "voice" his wants and needs by showing me what he wanted, or try to use the limited words he has. We went to some early doctors appointments, and headed to the mall to do some shopping! I wasn't in a rush, and king of let his mood determine where we went and what we did! Success! I got lots of shopping done, we shared some quality time and made it through the day with only minor problems...nothing I couldn't handle!

Then came Friday...The BEST day I've had with Kallen in a long time. Back to the "quality time" thing!!! I started to look at my days, and see how things happen around here. I realized that Kallen and I do things throughout the day that help me, that I want to do, that gets things done around the house...but not really things Kallen wants to do! I'm constantly with him in the various rooms of our house, but I'm doing things for me, and he's doing things to keep him occupied. Coloring for example...I'll set Kallen up with his colors and coloring book while I sit down to the computer and check emails, read blogs, etc, etc. We're together, but I'm not fully engaged in what he's doing...therefore, he acts out! Coloring on the chair, throwing crayons, screaming and yelling until I also pick up a crayon and join him!

Friday I decided to devote my whole attention to Kallen and do what he wanted to do! That was the answer! We played blocks, went for walks outside, both colored in the coloring book, etc. etc. I found time to do the things I needed to get done during Kallen's nap time, and when he woke up...it was back to time with him!

It's hard to find the happy medium between getting things done, and spending quality time with my son! I'm learning though, and now that I know what makes him tick...maybe things will start getting easier around here. They already have, so lets just keep this up!

4 comments:

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Amy just posted about this on her site too. And your post convicted me, just as hers did.

We've been experiencing some of the same attitude, behavioral problems with Devyn. And I've decided that quality time must be the problem. So Jon and I are determined to each have quality time with her on a daily basis and see how it goes from there.

I'm glad that Kallen is getting the time and attention he needs. And that you're experiencing peace again!!

Mikaila said...

I'm glad things are getting easier for you!!

Kim said...

It's alwasy toug hat this age, they dont always know how to use their "words", and they get sooo incredibly whiney but you are right, I often find myself doing the same, doing things "I" want to do and just getting him things to keep him occupied. One day at a time, sounds like you guys are off to a fantastic start!

Aleah said...

Something I think we all go through. If not when they're this age then when they're older! Glad everythings going good now!