Background

Saturday, March 3, 2007

I survived...and so did he!

Kevin and I did it...we finally left Kallen over night! This might surprise you, but Kevin has actually been the one reluctant to leave him, and I've been begging for the time away. Kevin thinks it's no big deal to take him every where we go, and for the most part...I agree. I don't mind taking him out to dinner, or if we go visit family and friends...BUT...taking him to a plumbing trade show in Seattle didn't sound like something I was excited to do. Kevin's comment was "it will be no big deal." Sure, for him...I'm the one who will be chasing the little munchkin all over the convention center, while he was wheelin' and dealin' and looking at all the new products.

After weeks of pleading my case, Kevin finally agreed. Yes!!! Kallen would be staying with Grandpa and Grandma, and Kevin and I would have a night away in Seattle. It took a room full of hundreds of plumbing propaganda to get our time away, but we did it!

When we dropped Kallen off Friday morning, the tables had turned. Kevin was excited, and I was second guessing our decision. "Why did we need to leave him? He'd be okay with us. We'll just take his stroller, and lots of snacks and it should be easy peasy lemon squessy, right?" Okay, fine...with lots of coaxing, Kevin got me in the car, and we were off! Seattle, here we come...alone!

I called mom 2 hours after we left, and then 4 hours later. Everything was fine, and Kallen hadn't even noticed we were gone! Okay...it's getting easier. Kevin and I roamed around the show a little bit, then went for a romantic dinner at "The Cheesecake Factory". Neither one of us had ever been, but let me tell you...The Chicken Medeina was the best chicken dish I've ever had, and it was all I could do to keep Kevin's fork off my plate. I had to keep telling him to get his "own".

We got back to the hotel, and both crashed early channel surfing between reruns of CSI: Miami, and the Disney Channel's "Freaky Friday". I don't think a hotel bed has ever been so comfortable and cosy, and Kevin and I both slept like babies! We woke up this morning, enjoyed our contenintal breakfast, went to the show for a few hours, and headed home. Kallen, here we come!

When we arrived at mom and dad's, Kallen was in his highchair eating dinner, and didn't even blink an eye when we walked in the door. Okay, so maybe we missed him a little more than he missed us, but I guess that's the way it should be. I'd rather him be having a grand ol' time and not even know we were gone, than to be crying for us every other minute. Our little boy is growing up so much!

Bottom line is he survived...and so did we. I guess another vacation away isn't out of the question, and hopefully this time we can be alone without hundreds of other plumbers there joining us!!!

3 comments:

Lani said...

WHOO-HOO! Yay for time away! So glad to hear it went well. Andrew's first night away was hard for us, too. But he had a great time and so did we! :)

Mikaila said...

That's awesome! Glad you found some time away, even if it was with a bunch of plumbers. =) Take what you can get!

Anonymous said...

becky said...
I am so proud of you guys. You always need to remember yourselves as Kallen will be happier and so will mom and dad to have time alone. Besides Kallen does not know the difference.