Background

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Bumps, bruises and bloody noses

I've never been a mom who jumps up to coddle Kallen every time he falls down or bumps his head. I tend to asses the situation and make the appropriate response. If there is no major damage, or hard core tears, I help coax him up, and send him on his way. Now that sounds kind of cold, so I have to say that if there is obvious pain or injury, I'm right there to comfort the little guy and make sure everything is in working order. Then when he's ready, I let him down. I just feel that if I gasp or jump up to help him every time something little happens, I'll never know the difference between a serious injury and a little bump or bruise. He'll cry like he's dying no matter what happens.

Well, just this afternoon our little Evil Knievel decided to try his luck out walking face forward down my parents front steps. This mind you, is a feat he has yet to accomplish (we're still at the crawling backwards stage). As you can imagine, this little stunt of his, didn't go as well as he would have liked. Grandma and I both made diving attempts to try and stop the inevitable, but to no avail...He fell flat on his face. At first I thought he only hit his forehead, then the blood started to flow. Yep...he got his first bloody nose. Okay, so this was definitely one of those times I was right there to hold and comfort my little daredevil. The nose stopped bleeding, but the goose egg between the eyes will be a friendly reminder for days to come of the skills he has yet to acquire!

2 comments:

Mikaila said...

Poor little guy! :( I hope it doesn't put him off stairs for awhile.

Lani said...

Bummer! I hate it when Andrew gets hurt, but, like you said: you have to evaluate just how bad the situation really is before you make a big deal out of it. Bloody noses are no fun! Andrew has a terrible habit of splitting his lip open on his front teeth. Ever since those babies grew in he's had that problem. I think he's getting used to it, though--yesterday he fell and bumped his chin and there was a TON of blood in his mouth, but he just got up and ran off. I had no idea until he came over to me and there was blood on his face! Silly boys!!