Background

Thursday, January 4, 2007

Our little helper

One thing that I've tried to do with Kallen is treat him like a little boy, not a baby. I know he can understand us, and is more than capable of following directions. I've started asking him to help me when I'm doing things around the house. Not only do I get to spend time with him while getting things done, but he's also gaining valuable skills. When I'm doing laundry, he helps me put the clothes in the washer, and then into the dryer. When I'm folding...he folds too. Okay, so it's more like a wad than a fold, but he's helping none the less. If I'm dusting, or wiping down the cabinets and furniture, he wants his own rag to dust as well. When vacuuming...he's right there with one hand on the vacuum, telling me where to go. When cooking or washing dishes, Kallen is right there standing on a chair seeing what I'm doing, and every once in a while he even gets to stir.



Okay, so I think you get the picture. He's our little helper. Well, On Monday night, Kevin and I were out in the living room picking up after the long weekend. Kallen was in and out of the room, trying to help us on one hand, and making more of a mess on the other hand (what's new)? We noticed he hadn't been in the room for a while, so Kevin went to find him. There he was taking his already folded clothes out of his dresser, and one by one putting them in the washer (we have a front loading washer and dryer if you're wondering how he could manage this feet without standing on stilts or climbing a ladder). Anyways, after he'd get a few in, he'd shut the door, wait a second or so, open the door, and take the clothes one at a time, back to his dresser. Such a good little student of mine! Doing his own laundry, at 14 months...who knew???

No comments: